Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Every Sunday I go to the Cinema

I think its pretty cool to say that if one were to ask me what I do in my weekends. They might even think I spend so much on movies. But to those who know me, and especially in Melbourne, I don't have the time and money to spend it on movies. So what do I actually do going to the cinema every week? Don't I need a ticket to even pass the person collecting tickets?

Interestingly the church I attend every week host its service at a cinema hall. Even before I started serving, we could just casually walk pass the ticket collector and mention we're here for church and we're good to go. This is an obvious solution to actually watch movies for free, especially if there are lots of room left in the movies. I can easily stay longer on my seat after church or just pop to another different cinema. Obviously I do neither of those and would always pay if needed to.

So enough about that. The church that I attend and serve is known as City on a Hill (Melbourne). Having been part of this family since my first year of university has been a tremendous blessing. Although everything started pretty shaky, I believe God moved me in this direction to open up my eyes.  The church has been blessed with a steady growth rate and since the day I started attending with only one location in the city, they now have expanded to three locations. One in Geelong and another West of Melbourne (Highpoint). It is fascinating to witness growth and whats it like in a church context.

The culture and community here is also different. In a good way of course. Leaders, volunteers, mentors, trainers, everyone may not know everyone but since there is a clear vision for the church and the city, everyone works together and help one another regardless of who you are. The feeling of a hierarchy just seems absent when serving with all this people.  Even for myself, the sense of "this is too good to be true" was surface.  The grace and kindness that the people in City on a Hill not only helped me open my eyes. But a glimpse of what treating an serving one another actually means. The sense of you needing to prove your worth is never there, cause everyone knows that we are worthless on our own but made precious in Christ.

So yeah, lots more are and always happening, with one clear vision and mission in mind. The church will continue to serve and continuing in being a part of His kingdom work.

To know Jesus and make Jesus known - City On a Hill

RF

No comments:

Post a Comment